To begin this write up, I would like to thank David Fermani, and Barry Theal for their helpful insights and assistance on approaching on this level of mold removal.
I got an email from the owner and said his Audi had some mold. I have done some light mold removal details in the past and thought nothing of the call, but I decided to inspect the car to fully gauge the work and product and gear required. This Audi sprang a leak from the firewall, causing the drivers side floor to flood and then mold spores to infiltrate the entire interior while the car was garaged for 4 months or so for the duration of winter.
So this is what 4 months of wet car interior looks like before a complete mold removal detail…
After much discussion and research around extreme mold removal, I decided to use an enzyme mold cleaner called sporicidin. Knowing this would be a long two-day affair, I suited up; mask, gloves, long sleeve shirt tucked into the gloves, and some old pants. Everything I wore would be disposed of after the job, so I didnt mind looking ridiculously silly to get the job done. 🙂
The chemicals for this extreme mold removal are extremely strong and I wanted to limit my eposure to the chemicals as much as possible. So after spraying everything down with the chemicals, i allowed it to dwell and, more importantly to air out, so that I would not be indicentally be breathing in toxic fumes. Even after just spraying I saw a huge improvement. I was concerned about pitting on the leather but fortunately the mold wasn’t on there long enough to pit the leather. I then continued to go over the entire interior with towels from the buckets rinsing after about every square foot or so, I wanted to remove it not spread it around.
Even though I was using the sporicidin I decided to break out the steamer to ensure 100% mold removal and death to any spores still lurking around. My Polti 2085 steamer is absolutely amazing and provides a constant amount of steam. Steaming was primarily performed on the carpets, air vents to kill any remaining spores and on the stitched leather seams. The cabin air filters were also changed, ensuring the entire ventilation system was cleaned.
Returning on day two, the dehumidifier had amazingly collected about a cup (8oz) of water. The dehumidifier was to be left with the owner as part of the job with the vehicle so that it could be run over the course of a week, ensuring the vehicle was completely dry.
All of the leather was deep cleaned after the mold removal. Any plastic was dressed using Optimum Protectant Plus.
Thanks for looking as always Greg 😀